Givenchy's promotional copy claimed that the name "Ysatis" was derived by was the result of a computer amalgamation of eastern and western mythological goddesses Yseult and the ancient Egyptian Isis. Though I believe that Ysatis is presumably a reference to isatis, the plant from which indigo is derived from.
Hubert de Givenchy merely explained that "I was looking for an encounter between seductive charm and perfume."
The vintage formula is a wonderful 80's powerhouse fragrance with intense sillage and longevity. Ysatis became one of Givenchy's strongest sellers, particularly in the United States. By the mid-1980s, Ysatis accounted for nearly 78 percent of the group's U.S. volume, which pushed Givenchy's total revenue to $83 million at that time. The success also inspired Givenchy to create Xeryus, it's first masculine fragrance to be launched since the 1970s.
So what does it smell like? It is classified as a semi-oriental chypre fragrance for women. An an intriguing blend of exotic florals, warm spices and heady animal notes.
- Top notes: ylang-ylang, bergamot, orange blossom, mandarin orange, galbanum, coconut, Brazilian rosewood, and aldehydes
- Heart notes: jasmine, Egyptian rose, Florentine iris, narcissus, carnation, tuberose, rum and narcissus
- Base notes: bay rum, musk, honey, frankincense, ambergris, vanilla, vetiver, clove, Javanese patchouli, laurel, oakmoss, Indian sandalwood and civet
Ysatis is presented in a prize winning deep-set vertical faceted bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand has a triangular- top cut like a crystal sculpture. Bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand in 1984. The bottle was manufactured by three different companies over the years: Pochet et du Courval, Saint Gobain Desjonqueres and BSN Flaconnage. The plastic components were supplied by both L'eumail and MBF Plastiques.
In 1994, a limited edition set was released, the presentation was known as "L'Enchantement de Bolero"... and was a "couture-inspired" Givenchy hat that opened to reveal Ysatis in a 1.7 oz Eau de Toilette Spray, accompanied by a precious 1/8 oz of Ysatis Parfum. The added bonus was that the presentation doubled as a jewelry box.
Ysatis was available in the following:
- 7ml Parfum Spray Magique (Refillable)
- 7ml Parfum Splash
- 10ml Parfum Spray - Gift Edition
- 15ml Parfum Splash
- 0.25 oz Parfum Spray (Refillable)
- 0.25 oz Parfum Splash
- 0.17 oz Eau de Parfum Splash mini
- 0.14 oz Eau de Toilette Splash mini
- 25ml Eau de Toilette Spray
- 30ml Eau de Toilette Spray
- 50ml Eau de Toilette Spray
- 100ml Eau de Toilette Spray
- 100ml Eau de Toilette Splash
- 200ml Voile de Beaute
- 6.7 oz Beauty Cream
- 6.7 oz Body Veil (Lotion)
- 6.7 oz Beauty Veil (Lotion)
- Perfumed Soap